It’s the end of the year, and you’re all fired up for 2020.
You want to do things differently in 2020. You don’t just want to write your goals down and pray they get achieved, NO! You want to make sure your dreams come to life, and what better way to do that than vision boarding!
This blog is in response to the countless emails and DMs I received asking how one can create a vision board. The purpose behind it and what creating one does for your life. This is your how-to blog post, and I hope it will inspire you to take time out before the end of the year to create your vision board and utilize it the way it’s meant to be used.
So, let’s start at with the basics:
It’s a canvas/board full of images that coincide with your dreams. Think of it as the full picture of what you want your 2020 or life to look like. Your vision board will help you visualize the life you want to live and I’m sure you’ve read about the power of visualization; it’s a powerful tool!!
Next, think about your goals…what are your goals for 2020? List 10 things you want for your life. Some examples are Travel, Fitness (weight loss, tone muscles, etc.), Career Changes,Marriage, Family, Money Moves, Health, Faith, Education, the list is endless. Be sure to make specific goals, so they are measurable and attainable, but don’t make them easy. You want your goals to take you out of your comfort zone. If you feel uncomfortable, then you’re doing the right thing.
Once you have your goals written out, get…
1) It’s pretty simple; all you need are magazines that align with your vision/dreams/goals. Start looking for specific things (for example- if you want to travel to Italy for the first time, find pictures of Rome or something else that signifies Italy (other than pizza lol)). Gather around 5-10 magazines so you can have a variety of images to go through.
2) You will need a canvas or cardboard to place your images on. Make sure it’s roughly 11x16 in size.
3) Scissors and Glue - if you are using a canvas, get hard Glue for fabric that will not stain over images.
4) Background Paper - this can be anything from wrapping paper to scrapbook paper.
5) Motivational quotes, stickers, anything that inspires you!
1) Cut images from different magazines that correlate with your goals. For example- An image of a plane would be great for travel or a picture of the destination you want to go to!
2) Glue your background on the canvas to make it look aesthetically pleasing.
3) Add images on your canvas without gluing to ensure it all fits together.
4) Once you find the perfect aesthetics for your board and you are happy, start gluing everything.
5) Add motivational stickers to remind you of the good vibes you want to attract.
1) Place your board somewhere that you can see it every day (closet, office, bedroom, or kitchen).
2) Be present with your board, look at it every morning, and spend at least 3-5 minutes going through the images. Let it serve as a reminder of your dreams. Visualize yourself achieving each of your goals (really embody the feeling of achieving those goals). This will motivate you to start doing more…which leads me to #3.
3) Break your yearly goals down (what do you need to do monthly/weekly/daily to achieve each goal). THIS IS HUGE! It will help make your goals feel tangible. For example: travel to Italy- You will need to save money, take time off from work, book everything.Therefore, monthly, you can give yourself a budget, work extra hours to get time off, or put in your leave request form now, start looking at different hotels/flights, etc. to book. This can further be broken down to weekly and even daily tasks. By doing this, it makes the dream of traveling to Italy much more feasible.
4) Watch your life start to change as you continue this process.
I can’t wait to see your vision boards! I am here to help you in any way possible. Feel free to always reach out with any questions. I started this process three years ago, and honestly, my life has changed in ways I couldn’t even begin to describe. Everything I envisioned has come true (apart from baby #4), and it’s all because I followed these steps. I want the same for you, and I am here to help you along the way.